Horst Heldt, the managing director of 1.FC Köln, has been released from his position at the club.
|Horst Heldt.||Photo: 9EkieraM1, Wikimedia Commons, CC BY-SA 3.0|
Heldt was brought into Köln 1 and a half years ago with the aim of keeping the club's Bundesliga status, with the club achieving the aim by finishing 14th place with trainer Markus Gisdol.
However, the 'effzeh' started this season poorly, leading to Gisdol's sacking in mid-April 2021. Friedhelm Funkel was brought in as the interim and Köln managed to keep hold of their Bundesliga status after a 5-2 aggregate win over Holstein Kiel.
Rumors of Heldt getting replaced arose before the 2 relegation games. "I wasn't surprised," said Heldt last Monday. "I would be surprised if anything else surprised me at 1. FC Köln."
Heldt's contract had been extended prior to the start of the 20/21 season, with the contract said to run through to 2023. It remains unclear as to who will replace the 51-year-old, however, kicker reports that his successor will be understood to generate a transfer surplus of €20m in the summer for 1.FC Köln.