Bundesliga News

Wolfsburg updates:
Guilavogui talks ongoing, Cozza talks stall, Waldschmidt to stay?

By Peter Vice   @ViceytheSS

VfL Wolfsburg sporting CEO Jörg Schmadtke has confirmed to Germany's preeminent footballing publication - Kicker magazine - that he is actually speaking to VfB Stuttgart about potentially allowing Joshua Guilavogui to transfer over. 

In other Wolfsburg news, Kicker reports that Wolfsburg's talks to bring in Montpelier left-back Nicolas Cozza this January have stalled. After his performance off the bench against Freiburg on Saturday, it also looks as if attacker Luca Waldschmidt might remain in the Autostadt.
Nicolas Cozza
Nicolas Cozza34 super héros CC-BY-SA 4.0
VfB Stuttgart sporting director Fabian Wohlgemuth noted that he had received a definitive "no" on the club's efforts to reunite new head-coach Bruno Labbadia with his former captain Joshua Guilavogui when speaking to the press on Saturday. Wolfsburg expert Thomas Hiete off Germany's Kicker magazine nevertheless contacted VfL Wolfsburg sporting CEO Jörg Schmadtke for comment on the matter and received a surprise answer.


Schmadtke told Hiete that, contrary to reports, he was actually in dialogue with Stuttgart about potentially allowing the Frenchman to leave. The VfL personnel executive cited Guilavogui's personal desire for a transfer as the reason he changed his mind. Schmadtke had previously accused the Swabians of leaking information to the press in order to force the move.

"He [Guilavogui] has told us that Stuttgart is a serious option for him and he would like to do it," Schmadtke said, "That's how it should be done. Of course, all three parties must still be satisfied. We will make a decision in the coming week."

Hiete did not print any additional information about another pending transfer for VfL Wolfsburg; that of Montpellier left-back Nicolas Cozza. The incoming Frenchman, according to Schmadtke, set to join Germany's green company team on a free at the end of the season. Hiete's magazine still reports that Schmadtke's attempts to get the player now have stalled.

Montpellier are apparently reluctant to give the player away in the midst of a relegation fight. Having already allowed #1 goalkeeper Jonas Omlin to depart for Gladbach, the Ligue 1 side don't wish to lose any more key players. Wolfsburg themselves are in desperate need of a left-back after selling back-up Jerome Roussillon to 1. FC Union Berlin.

Current starting left-backs Paulo Otavio will actually be unavailable for Wolfsburg's next match against Hertha BSC. The Brazilian incurred a booking this weekend in the 6-0 win over Freiburg that will force him to sit out the next fixture on yellow accumulation. Another player who shined in the weekend win may actually not be on the move out of the Autostadt after all.


Former Freiburg attacker Luca Waldschmidt played an important role in Wolfsburg's last two goals in the Freiburg rout. When Wolfsburg were awarded a penalty deep into injury time, Waldschmidt immediately grabbed the ball and himself took the spot kick. Outgoing transfer rumors involving Waldschmidt have cooled significantly in recent weeks.

After what transpired on Saturday, it might be the case that Schmadtke will be looking to offload another player instead. It has been reported that both Waldschmidt and fellow attacker Maximilian Philipp arte considered by the club to be "dead-weight" actors who need to be moved in order to reduce payroll.

Philipp could be the one on the move now.


Related stories

Bundesliga News

Fantasy Football

Tactics Talk

Editor's picks

Profiles

Turn back time

Bundesliga - Stuttgart - BremenBundesliga - Wolfsburg - FC Bayern