Europe: UEFA Nations League
3 - 3
(0 - 0)
L. Shaw (72), M. Mount (75), H. Kane (83)
İ. Gündoğan (52), K. Havertz (67), K. Havertz (87)
By Jonathan Dicks@Jonathan_Dicks

Germany draw against England after chaotic second half

After a tame first period of play, both offenses roared back to life in the second half and produced a wild 3-3 draw at Wembley Stadium.
With Germany struggling through covid and injury issues, three points were all but guaranteed after claiming a 2-0 advantage in the second half through several Harry Maguire mistakes. But seemingly out of nowhere, England scored three quick-fire goals in this edge-of-your-seat draw to end the international break.

After a quiet start to the game, things came to life in the 25th minute when Marc-Andre ter Stegen narrowly saved Raheem Sterling's shot from a delicious Luke Shaw cross. England followed that effort with more promising opportunities that came up just short, as they continued to create dangerous chances even with Germany dominating possession.

Ter Stegen later saved Sterling's second shot on target, while Kyle Walker was subbed on for an injured John Stones in defense. Both teams would've felt a bit disappointed with their play up to this point, as they shared the spoils heading into halftime.

Hansi Flick decided to bring Timo Werner on for Jonas Hofmann up front, pushing Jamal Musiala out wide to start the second 45. Maguire added another head-scratching mistake to the list, as his poor challenge on Musiala allowed Ilkay Gündoğan to give Germany a 1-0 advantage from the spot in the 52nd minute.

And yet, Germany still hadn't recorded a shot on goal from open play. They should've extended their lead on several occasions, but Niklas Süle and Werner, after an incredible Musiala run, couldn't get their shots on target.

But finally, Kai Havertz found the target with an unstoppable left-footed effort after another Maguire error in the 67th minute. Seemingly out of the game, Luke Shaw quickly claimed a goal back in the 72nd minute after a Reece James cross to give England a slight chance.

Things only got crazier from here on out. England secured their equalizer just four minutes later with substitute Mason Mount curling a first-time finish past ter Stegen. A quiet Wembley Stadium looked rejuvenated once again, as they pushed their countrymen forward.

Germany's worst fears came true when VAR gave a penalty for Nico Schlotterbeck's follow-through challenge on Jude Bellingham to give England a chance at completing this unthinkable comeback. No goalkeeper in the world could have saved Harry Kane's penalty, as the Three Lions found themselves in the driver seat.

But, Germany weren't finished quite yet. Nick Pope spilled Serge Gnabry's shot, giving Havertz an easy tap-in to secure his brace in the 87th minute. Bukayo Saka, who really shined in his role as a substitute, would've earned England all three points if it wasn't for a world-class ter Stegen save.

What a second half it was, as both fans were happily provided with some offensive fireworks to brighten their moods. The World Cup awaits.

Bundesliga news

Euro 2024

Match days

Long reads

Exclusive interviews

Team News

Play-offs 1/2 - Bochum - Düsseldorf