Bundesliga News

SV suspend Füllkrug following dust up with Fritz

By Peter Vice

German second division side SV Werder Bremen confirmed that disaffected striker Niclas Füllkrug had been suspended from squad training sessions on Monday. 

Sporting director Frank Baumann cited a public spat with administrator Clemens Fritz as the reason. 

Niclas Füllkrug.
Niclas Füllkrug.Photo: Werder Bremen

Veteran striker Niclas Füllkrug's dissatisfaction with his situation at his current club apparently boiled over into a dressing room confrontation over the weekend. In announcing that they had released the 28-year-old from his current professional obligations, SV Werder Bremen claim that Füllkrug had a dust-up with recently installed licensing director Clemens Fritz in the locker room.


Werder sporting director Frank Baumann indicated that this was not the first time Füllkrug had been verbally abusive with Fritz.

"As a club, we could not accept this incident," Baumann said in a statement, "Hence, we have decided to give Niclas three days to reflect upon his behavior on Sunday. In addition to the insight he gains, we will expect an appropriate reaction from him."

Füllkrug has issued an apology for the incident that occurred during Sunday's 0-3 loss away at Darmstadt on Sunday.

"I apologized to Clemens, the coaching staff and also the team," the striker said in his own statement, "I crossed a line that exists between player and management. I should not have allowed that to happen."




More about Niclas Füllkrug

More about Bremen

Bundesliga News

Fantasy Football

Tactics Talk

Editor's picks

Profiles

Turn back time

3. Liga - Osnabrück - Freiburg II3. Liga - Viktoria Köln - Hallescher3. Liga - Türkgücü - Zwickau