Lucien Favre was coy on his future at Borussia Dortmund after Tuesday's loss to Bayern München. Former German international Lothar Matthäus believes he could be replaced by Niko Kovac.
Lucien Favre was tight-lipped on his future as Borussia Dortmund coach in the wake of Tuesday's 0-1 loss to Bayern München.
The loss was a huge blow to Dortmund's chances of winning the Bundesliga title as it leaves Favre's troops seven points behind reigning champions Bayern München with six games left to play.
Favre's future at Dortmund has previously been questioned during his tenure at Signal Iduna Park, which began in 2018.
And when asked by Sky if he's afraid that Tuesday's loss will reignite the debate about whether he is capable of leading his team to a title, Favre seemed to add fuel to the fire:
"That's what they have been saying for months. I don't read the newspapers, but I know what's going on. I will make a statement in a few weeks. I'll stay calm and keep faith in myself."
While Favre, whose contract runs until 2021, left it open what he wants to announce in a few weeks, former German international Lothar Matthäus believes it was a 'clear statement'.
Speaking after the game, Matthäus said that he believes Favre's job will be taken over by Niko Kovac, who has been without a job since he was dismissed as Bayern coach in November.
"Favre goes, Niko Kovac comes. That was my first thought after those comments," he told Sky.
According to Bild, there has been contact between the BVB bosses and Kovac in the last few months.
Update: Lucien Favre has now clarified his statement.