The winners and losers of the Bundesliga season, according to Lothar Matthäus
By Rune Gjerulff @runegjerulff
Here are the biggest winners and losers of the 2018/19 Bundesliga season, according to Lothar Matthäus.
|Kai Havertz is the biggest winner of the season among the players, according to Matthäus.|
Biggest winners - players:
1. Kai Havertz (Bayer Leverkusen)
"The player of the season for me. At such a young age, he's already incredibly good in terms of technical ability and tactical understanding. He always handles pressure with a cool head."
2. Robert Lewandowski (Bayern München)
3. Marco Reus (Borussia Dortmund)
Biggest losers - players:
1. Jerome Boateng (Bayern München)
"He dreamed of Paris and landed on Bayern's bench. It was a very bitter year for the former world-class defender. Lost his regular spot at Bayern, was excluded from the national team by 'Jogi' and wasn't even subbed on during the final game."
2. Marcel Schmelzer (Borussia Dortmund)
3. Nabil Bentaleb (Schalke 04)
Biggest winners - coaches:
1. Friedhelm Funkel (Fortuna Düsseldorf)
"Formed a team that many believed would definitely get relegated, so that they already ensured survival on Matchday 28. Funkel has made Fortuna play great, offensive and successful football. They beat BVB, drew 3-3 in Munich and showed what can be achieved with team spirit and a coach that everyone is behind. Fantastic!"
2. Niko Kovac (Bayern München)
3. Ralf Rangnick (RB Leipzig)/Bruno Labbadia (VfL Wolfsburg)
Biggest losers - coaches:
1. Markus Weinzierl (former VfB Stuttgart coach)
"Just like at Schalke, Weinzierl didn't have any success at all at Stuttgart. Sometimes, coaches only fit with one club. Maybe that was the case with Weinzierl and Augsburg. He results with Stuttgart were horrible, and the dressing room and players were never behind him."
2. Domenico Tedesco (former Schalke 04 coach)
3. Tayfun Korkut (former VfB Stuttgart coach)