By Peter Weis@PeterVicey

Schlotterbeck and Füllkrug on Hummels' DFB exclusion: "Wish I had Mats by my side."

Speaking from the sidelines of Borussia Dortmund's Tuesday squad training session, Nico Schlotterbeck and Niclas Füllkrug have commented on their DFB selection. Both players also made statements on the reported on exclusion of their club teammate Mats Hummels. 

Borussia Dortmund central defender Nico Schlotterbeck's nomination for Bundestrainer Julian Nagelsmann's European Championship side was confirmed late Sunday evening. The 24-year-old - who had been previously failed to earn call ups in three consecutive international breaks under Nagelsmann's coaching regime - offered up public comments on the matter for the first time on Tuesday. Schlotterbeck spoke to reporters on the sidelines of the BVB training session. 

"i got the call on Sunday," Schlotterbeck revealed, "There were a lot of internal doubts as I had not been nominated by Julian before. You worry about things and try to do your best. Of course I'm very happy to be there, sspecially at a home European Championships. That's something very special. I'm happy and proud of my journey." 

Both Schlotterbeck and his club teammate Niclas Füllkrug - who handled the honor of announcing his nomination himself on local radio this morning - also commented on the reported exclusion of BVB colleague Mats Hummels. Füllkrug was full of joy at the creative manner in which nominations are being confirmed across the Bundesrepublik, yet reserved clear words for the unfortunate fate of the 2014 World Cup winner. 

"Mats is playing an outstanding season," Füllkrug said, "Everybody knows that. He certainly would have deserved it from a performance point of view."

"We work very well together," Schlotterbeck said of the 35-year-old Hummels, "I'd like to have him by my side. I've learned a lot from him and am still learning from him." 


 

Euro 2024

Match days

Long reads

Exclusive interviews

Team News

Europa League - Atalanta - Leverkusen