Germany: DFB Pokal
(Pen: 3 - 4)
1 - 1
(0 - 0)(0 - 0)
FC Köln
A. Modeste (120)
R. Glatzel (92)
By Ultan Corcoran@UltanCorcoran

Fernandes' heroics in goal help Hamburg SV overcome Koln on penalties

Despite Modeste's late penalty, Hamburg remained calm to overcome their opponents in thrilling penalty shoot-out that came with a sprinkling of controversy.
To open the Round of 16 DfB Pokal ties, FC Koln welcomed 2.Bundesliga giants, Hamburg SV, to a reduced capacity RheinEnergieStadion. Koln opted to rest several of their players after the loss to Bayern last the weekend. Only Schwabe, Kilian, Hubers, and Mark Uth held their starting berths. Hamburg, who are making a strong push for promotion, also brought Wintzheimer and Muheim into their matchday XI.

Koln should have gone ahead on 21 minutes when a horrendous pass from HSV goalkeeper, Fernandes, presented them with a great opportunity. Andersson unselfishly set up Uth, however the experienced German overcomplicated things, allowing the out-of-position Portuguese keeper to make a strong recovery save.

Hamburg almost took a surprise lead through Robert Glatzel ten minutes before the interval. The ball kindly deflected into the path of the big German striker, but he couldn’t do enough to steer his effort past Schwabe. HSV’s Heyer struck the post just before the half time whistle, while Kittel narrowly bent his effort around the right goalpost on the rebound – the scores somehow remained 0-0.

Fernandes was drawn into the action almost instantaneously once the game recommenced. Schindler’s low cross caused havoc in the HSV box. The ball somehow squeezed its way out the other side of the crowded area to the feet of Thielmann but he finds his shot smothered.

Baumgart sprung top goal scorer, Anthony Modeste, as well as Salih Ozcan from the bench on 60 minutes to increase the home side’s firepower. Ironically, HSV went on to have the better spell in those following 10 minutes. Hector fouled the marauding full-back Heyer, and Kittel was sure to score from the subsequent freekick had it not been for the brilliant reactions of Marvin Schwabe.

Yet another top-notch Fernandes’ save managed to keep the game deadlocked with under 15 minutes to play. Modeste drilled a powerful header towards goal from an Uth corner, although the effort lacked any real placement to trouble Hamburg’s shot-stopper who was at the top of his game tonight.

Heyer’s night couldn’t have got any unluckier from an offensive perspective on 83 minutes. Once more, Kittel delivered another dangerous set-piece into the Koln box. Unfortunately, he had to watch on in despair as his teammate could only hit the post from an incredibly difficult angle.

Extra-time was necessary to split these fiercely competitive teams, and a goal did come from Glatzel on 92 minutes. A cross in from the left wing had just enough loft to beat the Koln defenders and find the HSV No.9’s head for 0-1. Koln never really looked like scoring in the additional 30 minutes, but amazingly won a penalty in the 120th minute for a push in the box. Modeste stepped up and sent Fernandes the wrong way for 1-1.

The game was to be decided in the cruellest way possible – a penalty shootout. After Fernandes saved Ozcan’s effort, and Schwabe denied Kittel, the decisive miss came controversially from Kainz with Koln’s fifth, and final penalty. The Austrian slipped while striking the ball, thus making double contact and his attempt was deemed to be a miss by referee Schlager. Hamburg progress to the quarter-finals knocking out Koln 3-4 on penalties.

Bundesliga news

Euro 2024

Match days

Long reads

Exclusive interviews

Team News