Sporting director Frank Baumann cited a public spat with administrator Clemens Fritz as the reason.
|Niclas Füllkrug.||Photo: Werder Bremen|
Werder sporting director Frank Baumann indicated that this was not the first time Füllkrug had been verbally abusive with Fritz.
"As a club, we could not accept this incident," Baumann said in a statement, "Hence, we have decided to give Niclas three days to reflect upon his behavior on Sunday. In addition to the insight he gains, we will expect an appropriate reaction from him."
Füllkrug has issued an apology for the incident that occurred during Sunday's 0-3 loss away at Darmstadt on Sunday.
"I apologized to Clemens, the coaching staff and also the team," the striker said in his own statement, "I crossed a line that exists between player and management. I should not have allowed that to happen."
Niclas #Füllkrug ist bis einschließlich heute vom #Werder-Trainingsbetrieb freigestellt.— SV Werder Bremen (@werderbremen) October 20, 2021
Grund für die Freistellung war eine Auseinandersetzung mit Clemens #Fritz nach dem Spiel in Darmstadt.
Alle Infos 👉https://t.co/nKGnUfeKuL pic.twitter.com/UdpAjWJKVA