The hotly contested issue as to whether Bundesliga footballers will be allowed to travel to their national teams continues to develop.
One highly important facet of the debate must be emphasized: Players returning from international duty are not explicitly required to quarantine upon returning to the Bundesrepublik. This is a policy advocated by the current government, not one designed to be explicitly enforced across the board.
With this in mind, two clubs announced on Friday that they will indeed release their players.
|Andrej Kramaric.||Photo: TSG Hoffenheim|
One day after Bundesliga clubs SV Werder Bremen and Arminia Bielefeld restricted their players from traveling during the coming international break, two other Bundesliga organizations indicated they would not take such measures.
BVB Sporting Director Michael Zorc signaled to German footballing magazine Kicker that the club would allow players to leave.
"There will be no change to the rule that professional athletes do not have to quarantine upon their return," Zorc told the magazine, "We thus have an obligation to release them. That's what we're assuming at the moment.
Earlier in the day. Hoffenheim trainer Sebastian Hoeneß also revealed that his club would allow players to leave. "Essentially, if they are healthy and feeling well they will go," Hoeneß told reporters, "We don't really have any control over that."
In the case of Hoffenheim, it's important to note that this even includes the club's top striker Andrej Kramaric. The 29-year-old Croatian international has not played in the Bundesliga since returning from the last international break in October infected with COVID.
Despite this, Hoeneß declared that his leading goal-score is free to accept the latest call-up to his national side if he wishes. "Our boys like to report to their national sides," the 38-year-old trainer noted.