Bundesliga News

Turn back time to ... When Bayern lost the final to Manchester United in injury time

By Rune Gjerulff   @runegjerulff

In one of the most memorable Champions League finals ever, Bayern München threw away a 1-0 lead and lost to Manchester United in injury time.
Manchester United players celebrate after winning the Champions League final in 1999.
Manchester United players celebrate after winning the Champions League final in 1999.
The 1999 UEFA Champions League final is probably a match that many Bayern München fans wish they could forget – yet it is one of those football matches that is simply unforgettable.

At the Camp Nou in Barcelona, in front of 90.000 roaring supporters, Bayern got off to a great start when Mario Basler placed a low free kick around the United wall and made it 1-0 to the Germans after just six minutes.

Both teams produced chances during the game, but Bayern especially came close to scoring in the end of the second half when an overhead kick from Carsten Jancker hit the crossbar.

The game entered three minutes of injury time, and it seemed 1-0 would be the score when Manchester United were awarded a corner. Keeper Peter Schmeichel ventured up to Bayern's penalty area, and David Beckham swung in a cross that went just over the Dane's head. Dwight Yorke hit the ball back in front of the goal, Thorsten Fink failed to clear the ball properly, as it fell to Ryan Giggs who took a shot at the edge of the area. His shot was weak, but the ball went straight to substitute Teddy Sheringham who guided the ball past Bayern keeper Oliver Kahn and made it 1-1.

It now looked like the game would go into extra-time, as Manchester United were awarded another corner kick shortly after the subsequent kick-off. Once again, Beckham sent in a cross, and this time Sheringham got first to the ball and headed it down across the face of the goal. Then, Ole Gunner Solksjær, another substitute, was quickest to react as the Norwegian stretched out his foot and poked the ball into the roof of the Bayern goal. 2-1 to 'The Red Devils' with the clock at 90+2:17', and the Bayern players, deeply frustrated and on the verge of tears, had no time to come back.

An incredible moment of joy for the Manchester United team and their fans, but a cruel destiny for Bayern München. A contrast which Pierluigi Collina, the referee in charge of the game, remembers very clearly.

"I will always remember it for different reasons: first of all, the reaction of the Manchester United supporters when they scored the second goal – it was an incredible noise, like a lion's roar," the Italian has told the BBC.

"Then there was the reaction of the Bayern players – their disappointment as they fell down on the pitch after conceding that goal. The contrasting reactions of happiness and sadness, and the sad eyes of Lothar Matthaus when he looked at the trophy - all very unforgettable," the former referee said of the extraordinary final.

How the two teams lined up:

Manchester United (4-4-2):

Lineup: Peter Schmeichel - Gary Neville, Jaap Stam, Ronny Johnsen, Dennis Irwin - Ryan Giggs, David Beckham, Nicky Butt, Jesper Blomqvist (subbed off, 67') - Dwight Yorke, Andy Cole (subbed off, 81').

Bench: Raimond van der Gouw, David May, Phil Neville, Wes Brown, Jonathan Greening, Teddy Sheringham (subbed on, 67'), Ole Gunnar Solskjær (subbed on, 81').

Manager: Alex Ferguson.

Bayern München (5-2-3):

Lineup: Oliver Kahn - Markus Babbel, Thomas Linke, Lothar Matthäus, Samuel Kuffour, Michael Tarnat - Stefan Effenberg, Jens Jeremies - Mario Basler, Carsten Jancker, Alexander Zickler.

Bench: Bernd Dreher, Thomas Helmer, Mehmet Scholl (subbed on, 71'), Thomas Strunz, Thorsten Fink (subbed on, 80'), Hasan Salihamidzic (subbed on, 87'), Ali Daei.

Manager: Ottmar Hitzfeld.

Bundesliga News

Fantasy Football

Tactics Talk

Editor's picks


Turn back time